Sunday 14 April 2013

Behind the scenes of "Hell for Leather"

Since my beloved Canon powershot bit the dust at the Lovebox festival when it got flung to the stage during the excitement of the Chic set, I have struggled to love the iphone6 and its in-built camera. Having been forcibly upgraded by the modern mindset that constantly has to fix stuff that ain't even broke I was assured I would come to love it, especially the camera. This has not come to pass. So luckily my "Behind the Scenes" portfolio has been artfully augmented by Deborah, assistant to Ben Amure, but at the first shoot, when our Countess of Bedlam was actress Rose Keegan, I was left to fend alone with the Fisher Price i-phone.

Rose at her dressing table

Mr Wesley assuring that the hem of the King of Threads corduroys whisper to the co-respondent shoe

Theo Jackson in the "Mr Harrop" waistcoat, "Jay B" overcoat and Bedlam bibfront shirt with Mr Wesley in his 

Rose in riding boots with gaucho nickel spurs (my own, not for sale), the waterproofed cotton jodhpurs and "Helen" coat of Harris Tweed

I love my spurs, found them in the tiny town of Turkey, Texas
It was our first round in Ben's Brixton studio, which he shares with a couple of other photographers. A stone's throw across the road is one of my favourite places I ever lived, St. Matthew's Road, where Eddie our landlord had thrown himself out of the kitchen window one day in a fit about people leaving washing up in the sink (this was before my tenure, I need hardly add). He landed on his head in the flower bed below. He got up and walked away but this caused a blot clot that effectively turned Eddie into a time bomb. One dawn I returned home from the Ministry of Sound to be informed that he had dropped down dead in our bathroom (he didn't live with us but preferred our flat to his own and we gave up dropping hints that he might respect tenant / landlord space). Shortly after that my cat Kitten gave birth and I christened her only issue Edward in his honour. Edward went on to become something of a celebrity:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1095649/8216-It-time-scatter-Edward-8217-s-ashes--8211-Sinatra-8217-s-grave-8217.html
But I digress. Back to my shots of the first photo shoot:

Ruby assisted Ben on the first shoot

Ruby's beau Theo Jackson in the "Tectonic" suit


The "Mr Harrop" waistcoat awaits its turn in the spotlight. Made of Harris Tweed it is lined in silk printed with our signature handcuff motif and has real leather buttons

Rose in the cosy rosy Bedlam Union Suit and high top hat by Bedlam's own Milliner Maria PK. She is buttoning the wrap over "Lady C" skirt made of the same waterproofed cotton as the jodhpurs. It has a detachable fan pleat tail


Back view of the "Lady C" skirt. Rose wears the "Evelina" jacket on top





Sophie, the jolly Orange Baron's daughter, popped in with her business partner Henry to see how we were getting along. They will be turning their attention to our website, rebuilding it entirely, just as soon as we get them the content. Next week I promise. In the meantime you can have a look at their other clients! http://www.dinkelandsweerts.com/
(We particularly commend to you the Langtons Gin, so supremely tasty that you can drink it neat, as shots! And we have! And it's delicious. Beware though, it is stronger than your arravige infusion). *hic*

Henry was taken off guard and bundled into the double breasted "Clancey" coat and suddenly James Dean was on set.

Why Mr Dinkel your star's a-twinkle


Ben coaches novice pin up Henry Dinkel



Henry in the "Mr Willis" suit and Bedlam's button tab Manchester made bib front shirt in Bengal Wine. 

Henry in the "Mr Wesley" impermeable made of wonder fabric Ventile

Ok, that's enough from me for tonight, I've been ordered upstairs to my room by some man in a Newsboy cap and a round neck waistcoat. And he's not telling me twice. But for a bed time story I leave you with this post from yesterday's Style Mummy blog, with which we were most delighted:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.